I can't believe I missed another blogging day. I already screwed up NaBloPoMo in February! But, I do have a good reason. I had unexpected foot surgery. LOL! OK, here is how it went down. Yesterday I had my first Monday off since my hours were cut. So, I made the appointment to see the specialist to finally clear me of having cellulitis in my leg. It was my last appointment. The one basically where they get another co-pay out of you to tell you something you already know. Anyway, I thought it was going to be easy. I should have known better. But, for the past few days my big toe on the right foot, you know, the foot that is attached to the leg I had the cellulitis on, has been killing me due to an ingrown toenail.
I'll put it the most gentlest way that I possibly can. Let's just say my big toenail, literally the length of it was growing sideways (right side) into the side of my toe. It was pushing my skin out and it was purple, infected, and leaking stuff that I will not get into. The specialist said, "your cellulitis is clear but I am sending you to the podiatry surgeon immediately." He was scared because the infection was on my right foot (toe) that it could easily start the cellulitis up again. So, he wasn't kidding. He left the room, called the doctor and they took me right then and there as an emergency.
This man was amazing. He was one of the sweetest doctors in the entire universe. I thanked him a hundred times for seeing me and helping me. I told him he is now a part of my "medical dream team". Let me set the scene folks. How funny is this - this doctor is obsessed with Frank Sinatra and the NY Yankees. All he has is Frank Sinatra playing in his office during all his office hours which was verified by his assistant who says she doesn't even hear it anymore. I do not knock the man because I would be playing Elvis music if I was in his shoes (forgive the podiatry pun..LOL). The sweet nurse called me to the room and meanwhile I'm nervous because good Lord I have an infection in foot attached to my post cellulitis leg AND I've never been to a podiatrist before. My hubby was with me and I kept insisting that he was going to amputate my toe. I was joking of course, I had to so I wouldn't be nervous. My hand to God as soon as I sat down in the quite cozy chair, a song was finishing of Frank Sinatra. I lean my head back and I hear, "And now...., the end is near....and so I face the final curtain." That was it! I sealed my fate.
To make an incredibly long story short. It took two hours, three huge needles, literally freezing my toe enough to perform surgery. He had to take 1/4 of my toenail off on the right side (up and down) and the part that was growing into the side of my toe. My hubby watched the entire thing (and held my hand). I left there with a huge wrapping on my toe and foot and he put this boot-like sandal on me. He was so cute because he took my sock and was stretching it like a father would trying to fit it over my wrapping so my foot wouldn't be cold out in the 20 degree weather.
I go back in a week for him to look at it. In three months he will do it again (ugh) but that time since it won't be infected, he is going to "kill the root" so it doesn't grow back into the side of my toe again. Thank God. I've had a problem with that toe my whole life but just kept cutting the top corner off and out of my toe with a nail clipper. I never knew it was growing in the entire side of my toe.
So as you can probably imagine, I came home and had to keep my foot elevated. I was totally drained from my entire afternoon of doctors. I took a sleeping pill and went to bed. This morning I woke up to snow and a throbbing toe and took the advice of my doctor and called my boss and explained what happened and used one of my sick days. I'm SO glad I did.
That is my saga everyone. Never a dull moment with me these days. I'm glad I took off because it snowed six inches today. Tomorrow in the morning I hope the super will take care of our walkway because I have to walk in a podiatry boot to my car. There is no way I can get my foot into a sneaker for at least a week with the swelling and the wrapping. It won't be fun to sit with a wet sock all day.....hmmmm...unless I bring a change of socks. (mental note to self)
12 comments:
Hi, Jodi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving all the wonderful comments. Yes, PLEASE stop by again soon~ :)
Your poor, poor foot. It sounds like quite the experience...yikes!
It's so cool how you found my blog! I didn't realize that Erynn was coming out with a new book soon- but I read her blog so I'm sure I'd have heard about it eventually- lol!
I have heard of Laura Jensen Walker and I think I've read most of her books- she's a wonderful author. My absolute favorite it Karen Kingsbury though- have you read hers?
I hope your toe is feeling better tonight!
Six inches???! It snowed here all day long, but never amounted to anything. They got hit in Boston and the Cape. About time we had a break!
Take care and I'll talk with you soon!
Hugs!
Well, he may be dead, but it looks like Frank Sinatra's still got great comic timing. Hope your toe returns to its normal hue soon (call me a hypochondriac, but the first thing I did after reading this was trim my toenails).
Isn't it weird how some songs just seem to have perfect timing? It's one of those moments that confirm that the fates really do exist.
OMG.Hugs Jodi.Take care. So glad that you took the day off. Take one off today too. Rest up and get healed.
uh boy - no fun. good thing you got it taken care of before it caused any more problems!
That sounds really painful. I can't believe you hubby could watch the whole thing!
wow...not fun, but at least it is taken care of already! no need to worry anymore, right?!
keep safe in all that snow...though I wish I could play in some of it right now!
BG
What an ordeal! I mean, who can listen to that much Sinatra? George Harrison said it best, "It's All Too Much". I mean your ordeal, not the story. This will teach you not to go toe-to-toe with a podiatry surgeon. ;) I'm glad they caught it and your going to be fine!
Oh you poor thing! I am so sorry. Hopefully that was the last of it! I'm glad you got it taken care of.
-hugs-
OMG!!! first off the Sinatra song playing ...the end is near...is priceless!! I want to tell you how sorry I am to hear of your emergency surgery...can a girl get a break here? I hope you're taking it easy and I'm so glad that you didn't lose your big toe :)
OMG I'm so glad you made it through ok! *hugs* I would've been terrified if they'd sent me to someone right away. Yikes. I vote slippers and not a spare pair of socks :o)
Get well soon!
Post a Comment