Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday 9: The First Apartment



You can play here

1. Where had you moved from?
My Mom and I had lived in an apartment together. She passed away from cancer when I was 18yrs old. I lived with her up until that point.

2. Describe your first apartment.
I moved from that apartment into a two bedroom garden apartment. It was a nice place. It had a small eat-in kitchen, dining room, living room, one bathroom, and 2 bedrooms. I shared it with a friend of a friend. I would have stayed where my Mom and I lived, but I couldn't afford the rent on my own.

3. How old were you when you had your apartment?
I was 18

4. Did you have roommates? If yes, tell us more.
Yes, I had one roommate. My friend who I had known for about 2yrs had this girlfriend who just divorced from her husband. She was 28yrs old. She needed a roommate. So we moved into the apartment together.

5. What was your place of employment then?
I was a travel agent. Then I used to do both leisure and corporate travel. Now, I just do corporate travel. I'm much happier doing that.

6. How were you finances at the time?
They sucked. I literally was living paycheck to paycheck. My sisters wanted to help me but I was Ms. Tough Girl and said "I could take care of myself". For some reason I don't know why, maybe it was how I handled my grief from losing my Mom. I didn't want any help whatsoever. I maxed out my credit cards like a moron. I lived on rice cakes w/peanut butter and Ramen soup. I didn't want any help. I think though in the long run I'm glad I acted that way. I think it was what I needed to do that made me the person I am today. My Mom was a very strong woman. She raised us all on her own. I was originally going to go to Virginia to college but she got diagnosed with cancer my senior year of high school so I went to travel school instead. She suffered through cancer for 13 months before it took her life. I wanted to make her proud of me. I tried my best. Little by little I did it. But I have to admit I was stubborn as a mule. Alot like her :) I don't regret a thing.

7. Tell us about a lover who spent a night there.
I plead the 5th on that one. I don't like to kiss and tell. Hehehe

8. Tell us about a band you listen to then. (You can cheat. Look it up.)
Elvis - duh! LOL! Basically everyone I listen to now. Elvis, Billy Joel, The Beatles, John Lennon, Meat Loaf, U2, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen. I'm a classic Rock kinda gal.

9. How long did you live there and why did you move from there?
I lived there for a year. It turns out my 28yr old roommate had a substance abuse problem that she kept hidden and couldn't make the rent anymore. I had never touched a drug in my life. I said to her "who is the kid here?" It was like role reversal. One day I came home from work and everything she owned was gone. Luckily the landlords were kind and released me of the lease and I moved to another apartment.

10 comments:

Coffee Slut said...

Great answers! I'm running late this morning, so I'll do mine later!
I hope you're feeling better, and that you're doing your best to relax and heal!
Have a wonderful Saturday ...ttyl!
Hugs!

BELLE said...

Sorry to read that you have been in the hospital...hope you are feeling much better.

Lost my Mother to cancer at an early age as well....

Scriber's Web said...

Hey Girl! Hope you are feeling better. Good answers. Take care of yourself!

Bud Fisher said...

You certain went through a lot back then. No wonder you seem so happy now! It is great to have you blog back!

Jodi said...

Sue - Thank you my friend!! My visit with my sisters were nice. They just left. Jenny came here earlier and spent more time. She is a doll. Just like you! I hope you had a great day!

CRIMSON - Thank you so much. I'm so glad I'm out of the hospital. It was not a fun place. I'm doing better today. --- I'm sorry we share losing our Moms at an early age in common. It is such a sad thing.

SW - Hey my friend. Thank you! I hope that you are enjoying your Saturday!!

Bud - Hello my friend. Yes, it was rough during that age...but it sure was a good learning experience for me. I am happy now. I am finally pretty content with my life. I wish others around me like my sister were happy. Thanks for the welcome back. I really missed blogging. They didn't have a medication for blog withdrawal at the hospital. That was tough. LOL! ;)

Lisa G said...

LOVED your answers :)

Crazy Sam said...

Great to see you back! What an ordeal that you've been thought. I hope you are 100% really soon.

Crazy Sam said...

been through...oops! :)

Jodi said...

NurseExec - Thank you!! :)

Sam - Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. It is so good to be back!

Kitten said...

I don't usually do this meme, but I'm doing it today (on a Sunday no less), since I have such fond memories of my first apartment!