Friday, December 5, 2008

Harley Update Plus Thank You!

"Look what my Mommy did to me!"
First we want to thank everyone that has left such sweet comments for Harley! Thank you SO very much for your support, thoughts, caring & prayers. Alot of people in my non-blog life forgot about us where you guys did not. We want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts ♥ ♥ <---mine & Harley's. Sue, thank you for the texts and phone calls...You are a blessing & such a beautiful friend!! "S" and Debbie, thank you my friends for the emails. I will answer your emails tomorrow, I am so drained tonight. For all you wonderful bloggy friends who left comments, etc..thank you SO much!

I will also respond to all the comments & visit your blogs tomorrow as I am exhausted & I want to get back to Harley. My hubby is currently watching him in the bedroom. We had to put him back in his carrier for a little while because he is still very drugged from the full anesthesia he got. He was resting in his nest bed for about 2hrs & then decided to get up and try to run to the bathroom. Well he fell over himself like 4 times. I kept going after him but he would get up as I was bending down, run from me a foot, then literally fall on his side or his face. It was SO sad. I had a feeling he had to go to the bathroom so I took the lid off of his litter box and put him in. He fell over in there. I righted him up and then he peed. What amazes me in their 'stoned' state, they are still so smart to do what comes natural to them and find their litter box. So, with what we saw, since he went to the bathroom it will be OK if we put him in his carrier for an hour or two just so he gets some strength back. I don't want him to hurt himself. My doctor said I can keep him in it all night but I just can't. I will stay up with him and sleep in the morning or tomorrow night.

OK onto what happened today. Well for starters it was an incredibly long day. I hated leaving him there. I just dreaded knowing he would be having full anesthesia and I was afraid of the results. To make an incredibly long story short. The "traveling" vet who brings and performs the ultrasounds along with my vet had a few other hospitals to stop at. So needless to say, my vet's office was his last office he stopped at. We thought originally he would be early in the morning but no, he arrived at 1:30pm. So they didn't start until 1:45pm-2pm. Then he needed to get shaved after that. As you can imagine when I picked him up he was completely zonked. He was crying and literally shivering/slight shaking which are all normal for an animal coming out of anesthesia. I hit traffic going to pick him up because of an accident where they had closed the highway and just reopened a lane. Ugh! The doctor called me, "first let me preface this by saying , there is nothing too bad."

  • Harley has a thickening of his heart which means that he can have early stages of what we thought all along - hyperthyroidism, hypertension, or high blood pressure. He ran another thyroid test to test his levels again. If he sees them elevated he will maybe begin treatment for it probably in pill form. This could be a cause for him to lost almost 5 pounds.

  • The mass they saw on his chest is definitely fatty deposits - not cancer - thank God. In fact, the doctor said his body has no signs of cancer whatsover. Thank you Lord!

  • Since they did an ultrasound of his chest cavity & abdomen, they have to tell you about any irregularities in any organ despite how minute the irregularity is....That being said, the first thing they saw was some nodules on his spleen, but they were non-cancerous and nothing to be concerned with.

  • They saw a polyp on his gallbladder, non-cancerous and nothing to be concerned with.

  • Lastly they saw that he has what is called chronic pancreatis in a mild (non-deadly) form that can explain his frequent vomiting. My hubby calls him "Mr Weak Stomach".

  • Through a regular check the vet checked Harley's teeth and said that he has some broken teeth and gingivitis and would like to clean them and extract some teeth. I'm not doing this right away, he needs a break.

So, the only thing we are doing is waiting for the test results back Monday or Tuesday for the thyroid. After this we just wait and retest his thyroid in 3-6 months. Hopefully he won't lose anymore weight. Three years ago he was 16 pounds. When we were at the vet 3 weeks ago, he weighed 11.1 pounds. Today pre-shaving he was 11.2 - so that is good news he gained back 0.1 pound. After his shaving he weighed 11 pounds even. He had 0.2 pounds of hair which the doctor said equates to 1/4 pound of hair!!! Holy crow!

Below is an aerial shot of Harley. Sue's cat Miss Maggie has a crush on Harley and wanted to see some "nude" pictures. I bet he will be more of a happier model tomorrow. These pictures are very sad looking because he was not a happy camper when he came home.

I will post more pictures tomorrow and visit my normal blogs then also. Please don't think I forgot you. It has been one heck of a day! Again, thank you all for your concern, support, kindess, caring, thoughts & prayers. You all are very special to us!!!

10 comments:

Coffee Slut said...

Omg, he looks ADORABLE! He also looks high as a kite, the poor baby! Maggie says "MEOWWWWW!"
I'm so happy that everything went well!
I hope you have a beautiful Saturday ...you'll probably spend it sleeping!
Take care and give Harley our love!

Scriber's Web said...

Great news! Poor little sweet thing! Sending many positive thoughts Harley's way and yours. Take care.

Don't worry about visiting other blogs etc. People will understand. Just get some sleep and rest.

Too cute about Miss Maggie having a crush on Harley. You need to write about it:)

Have a great day my friend!

Joyful Shepherd said...

Get well soon, Mr. Harley!
Get some sleep, Jodi.
Hugs,
Beej

Gavin said...

I hope he is feeling better soon. On the bright side, I discovered that I can lose weight by cutting my hair!

Jodi said...

Sue - Thank you my friend!! Tell Maggie that Harley is going to postpone his modeling shots until tomorrow since he still is VERY sleepy. He wants to give her his best shots. LOL! Hopefully tonight he will sleep good on the bed and wake up feeling much better. I certainly hope so. He has been so lethargic today. I hope you had a great time at the party!!! Have a great day tomorrow my friend!! Harley sends his love & purrs & kisses. He woke up enough to tell me that ;)

SW - Thank you SO much my friend. Harley has been yucky today. It is taking a very long time for the anesthesia to get out of his system. I hope you are feeling better too! Please take care of yourself and get plenty of rest! Have a beautiful Sunday.

Beej - Thank you SO much..Harley is very sleepy today, just like his Mom..LOL!

Gavin - Thanks you SO much!! Yes, that is very true about the hair. He is very svelte now...Hehehe.

Tab Calhoun said...

He is a very handsome cat!

I am also a cat mama - to two very naughty cats - and I know the worry that goes along with a sick pet.

Hope Harley's recovery is speedy.

Bud Fisher said...

Sounds like it is all good! I'm releived for you!

Jodi said...

Tab - Thank you very much. I'm SO fond of him...hehehe.

I'm so happy to know you are a cat mama too. Cats are the best, even when they are naughty. You sure are right about the worry that goes along with a sick pet. They are so helpless and we have to be their voice. Thank you so much for your comment!!

Jodi said...

Bud - Thank you SO much...yes, he is doing OK. He is taking a VERY long time to get over the anesthesia since two days later he is no where near himself. All he wants to do is sleep. Hopefully tomorrow he will be more like himself. Well nude and more like himself. LOL

Stephanie said...

Happy that things worked out. He is a cutie and I am sure you are just so happy to have some answers.