Tuesday, April 1, 2008

American Idol Review - Top 9 - Dolly Parton Week

First thing first....forgive my boldness, but who peed in Simon's corn flakes this morning?


Was it me or was Simon is such a harsh mood this evening. Ok, he is normally very 'truthful', outspoken, etc. But tonight he was just so negative with everything. (ok, 95% of everything). I felt SO bad for Carly when he criticized her wardrobe stating that she should consult the person dressing her. I mean alot of us have criticized some of her outfits, but to do that in front of millions of people. She just showed her vulnerability last week when she said she wore spanx because people thought she had a baby bump even though she wasn't pregnant. He really knows how to help someone's self-esteem doesn't he. Ok, enough energy wasted on Mr. Cowell...onto the review.



Tonight the Top 9 are mentored by Dolly Parton. She was very sweet. It was tough because I only knew about 2 or 3 of the songs that were chosen. I actually think it is a good thing because I really was rating them for their talent versus how I think they sing the normal popular song.

My 3 Top Favorite Performances in order:
1) David Cook
2) Michael Johns
3) Carly Smithson

My Top 2 Least Favorite Performances in order:
1) Ramiele Mulabay
2) Syesha Mercado

Here is a review in my opinion of each performance
  • Brooke White - "Jolene" - I am surprised at myself for saying this but I really liked it. That was a good song choice for her.
  • David Cook - "Little Sparrow" - LOVED IT. I know you all will think I'm biased because he is my favorite, but I really enjoyed it. It was different and showed what type of range he could do & how he can work with any genre.
  • Ramiele Mulabay - "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind?" - Nope, not really. (sorry, I couldn't resist). She is sweet, but she just doesn't "have it".
  • Jason Castro - "Travelin Thru"- Again, I am surprised that I am saying this...I really enjoyed this song as well. It is one of the better ones that he has done.
  • Carly Smithson - "Here You Come Again" - Really REALLY liked it! She sang it so beautiful. She was more heartfelt this week, probably because she took the spanx off & could breathe. Really great performance. Still "Come Together" has been my favorite.
  • David Archuleta - "Smoky Mountain Memories" - He did this song very nice. I hope his Dad lets up him real soon.
  • Kristy Lee Cook - "Coat Of Many Colors" - Another one I thought I would never say this about...I really liked it. The last two weeks she has stepped to the plate for me. Country is her thing...but twangy ("Eight Days A Week") is not.
  • Syesha Mercado - "I Will Always Love You" - Dolly had it right, a simple version of the song. She kind of mixed both versions together. Really didn't do it for me. Last week she was alot better.
  • Michael Johns - "It's All Wrong, But It's All Right" - Phenomenal!! He sang it beautifully. He kicked butt & is proving to the judges why he is one of my Top 2 singers this season. I am so proud of him!!!

I have to say even though I didn't care for some performances this evening, I thought that this week everyone did relatively well. It was a safe week I should say. Now the tough part of who is going home....

My prediction is either Ramiele or Syesha.

One funny sidenote - I was waiting for Dolly to make a reference to Kristy Lee that she didn't sound like her on helium...remember Simon's comment to her when she sang "Eight Days A Week" ROTFL...she totally missed the opportunity. Since her portion was pre-taped, when she appears live tomorrow...she better say it to him. LOL!

1 comment:

Gavin said...

It's going to be interesting to see who goes. Up until now, Jason and Kristy were a pretty sure bet but last night through a monkey wrench into the whole thing.