Thursday, November 13, 2008

HE IS HOME!

Thank God my baby is home. I went to pick him up at 2:30. The doctor called and spoke to me at length. He had gave him enough sedation to just do the bloodwork, x-rays, urinalysis and full exam. He did a full CBC bloodwork. He was able to run some of the tests right in the office. He has ruled out diabetes, kidney or liver disease, and kidney failure. Harley "let" him get a feel of his thyroid and the doctor felt that it was enlarged. He feels it may be hyperthyroidism. The signs include:
  • Weight loss (Yes - 4 pounds)
  • Increased food consumption (Yes - and got more finicky)
  • Vomiting (Yes)
  • Increased water consumption/ urination (Yes for both)
  • Increased activity, behavior changes, nervousness (No)
  • Unkempt haircoat/hair loss (His hair is matted in spots)
  • Diarrhea (first time he did was yesterday)
Even though we aren't certain, this does sound like him. He said if it is, he will want to do an ultrasound to get a better look at his insides and when he does that, he would sedate him so they can perform that test and to also shave him because of his matts on his back which he won't let me near. He will not let me near him with a comb or brush. He has always been like that though. He believes that he would treat it with medication and possibly a food change (ugh!). But he said once we know for sure when he gets the full blood work back on Monday, then we will examine our next steps. The only other thing that frightened me a bit was he had to take more x-rays because he said he saw a mass in his chest cavity. He, his wife (also a vet), and his partner all looked at the x-rays and determined that they were fatty deposits. He said I shouldn't be alarmed and that he did not think it was a tumor. Thank the good Lord.
I did do a little research on hyperthyroidism and they say it is treatable with medicine, surgical removal, or "radioactive iodine". I'm hoping we can do the medicine. Again, this is all pending that this is what he has. I'm just jumping the gun here.
Right now he is alert, was walking around examining the house like he has been gone for more than a week when it was only 6hrs. My baby boy! I'm SO glad he is home. He actually wants to eat. Thank God..I hope he can gain some of the weight or that he doesn't lose anymore. He truly is at a healthy weight now, but it is different for Harley. You know what I mean?

So right now I have to wait. I just hope that if this is it, it will be treatable. I pray to the Lord above that it is nothing worse. I know I've been blessed to have him for 15yrs, but I'm not ready for him to be sick on me. My heart truly can't take it. I was a mess today.

Thank you all for your prayers, your emails, your hugs, concern about my baby and for me. It truly is so appreciated. You all are amazing. Thank you. I will keep you posted.

11 comments:

Dianne said...

Wow, I am so relieved and I'm sure my sister will be too. Never under estimate the power of prayer! Give Harley a big hug and kiss from me.
Dianne

Jodi said...

Dianne - Thank you SO much. Prayer is a very powerful thing. My heart was so heavy today. ♥ That is for you & your sister. I will give Harley a big hug & kiss from you for sure....Now we just wait. Ugh...I just hope he doesn't lose anymore weight.

Stephanie said...

Glad he's home and I hope you find whatever it is to be treatable so you can move on and not worry any more and he feels better.

Debbie said...

Kisses to Harley - welcome home!

Anonymous said...

He is back with you now....and let's hope and pray to St. Francis for the best possible outcome.
Sleep well tonight...your baby is home!
BG

Coffee Slut said...

I have been going crazy with worry all day long at work! Thank God Dianne has internet access and could read me your blog entries while I was on my lunch! Dianne and I have both dealt with senior cats that had serious health problems, and we did everything we could for them. I believe it's our responsibility as pet owners.
Harley is so very lucky to have you for his Mommy! We'll continue the prayers here for sweet Harley!

A Blog In The Rough said...

my mom's dog Frazier has hyperthyroidism and yes it's treatable and he's doing fine. Glad to hear it's a treatable disease, phew!
Hugs to you and harley, you made it to the diagnosis at least and it wasnt too bad!

Jodi said...

Steph - Thank you so much! I will feel alot better on Monday after I know for sure. I definitely feel better than I did today and yesterday. It was like a nightmare for me.

Debbie - Thanks for the kisses and kisses back to Debbie, love Harley

BG - Yes, thank you SO very much. He is home - hooray! I am so happy. I was a mess all day long. St Francis must be watching over him..and interceding for us! Thank God!

Sue - Thank you SO very much. You and your sister are SO special. You were so worried about him! Bless your heart. Thank you so much for calling me and making me feel better. Your friendship means so much to me. ♥ You are very right about being pet owners. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for him because he is part of my family. They are just love and so innocent. They can't help themselves. All of our pets are so loved. Thank you again for your prayers, concern, thoughts & friendship. Thank you to Dianne too...Dianne..if you are reading this, I hope you start a blog! It would be fun. Just like getting a tattoo. :)

Lyn - Oh wow, thank you so much for telling me that. It makes me feel better. I am glad to hear about a positive outcome with the disease. Thanks for the hugs...they are needed and appreciated :) Harley sends them back to your babies too.

Scriber's Web said...

Thank God! Hugs to Harley! Take care and keep us posted.

marine's words said...

Parise God !! I hope he gets to feeling better soon keep us posted.
Be bless my firend ,hugs marina

Jodi said...

SW - I sure will..thank you SO much. My heart was so heavy yesterday, today is is a lot happier. We aren't out of the woods yet, but it looks more positive now. Praying still!

Marina - Thanks SO much Marina. I hope so too! You be blessed too my friend. I'll keep you posted.