Tuesday, August 12, 2008

NaBloPoMo - August Day 12

Todays HOT topic is Hot Cross Buns. Would you believe I have never had one of these? With a limited amount of "hot" ideas, this is what I came up with today. So, as I have not tasted this delicacy, I will post about it's origins for those who don't know, like me.

Many thanks to An A-Z of Food & Drink:
"The practice of eating special small cakes at the time of the Spring festival seems to date back at least to the ancient Greeks, but the English custom of eating spiced buns on Good Friday was perhaps institutionalized in Tudor times, when a London bylaw was introduced forbidding the sale of such buns except on Good Friday, at Christmas, and at burials. The first intimation we have of a cross appearing on the bun, in remembrance of Christ's cross, comes in Poor Robin's Amanack (1733): Good Friday comes this month, the old woman runs, with one or two a penny hot cross buns' (a version of the once familiar street-dry "One-a-penny, two-a penny, hot cross buns'). At this stage the cross was presumably simply incised with a knife, rather than piped on in pastry, as is the modern commercial practice. As yet, too, the name' of such buns was just cross buns: James Boswell recorded in his Life of Johnson (1791): 9 Apr. An. 1773 Being Good Friday I breakfasted with him and cross-buns.' The fact that they were generally sold hot, however, seems to have led by the early nineteenth century to the incorporation of hot into their name."

4 comments:

Coffee Slut said...

Well, I think they're YUMMY! (I also love Pannetone, and not many people I know like it) Great research ...awesome post!

marine's words said...

tehy look good with my coffee I am having these moring :) marina

Debbie said...

you know, i dont think i've ever had one either...

Anonymous said...

nope, me either...
maybe we could all find a recipe and try them!
remember, we make lotsa stuff homemade when you live overseas! hahha
BG